The mission of Cavs in the Classroom is to give a boost to the classrooms of Charlottesville and help children adapt and improve in school. The program concentrates on the volunteer's relationship with preschool through sixth grade children who need assistance with specific skills.
What will volunteers do?
Our volunteers work as a teacher’s aid in local elementary schools and lead groups of children in activities such as reading, math, spelling lessons, SOL prep, and art projects. While the volunteer is there to help the teacher, they are not expected to make copies, grade papers, or take care of administrative tasks. The best experiences for everyone happen when the Cavs in the Classroom volunteer gets to help the students directly!
Volunteers submit their availability and are matched for a one hour, once-a-week volunteering shift during regular school hours (Monday-Friday 8am-4pm). Transportation will be provided via carpool.
How can I get involved?
Registration for the spring 2017 semester is now closed.
Our Community Partners
For more detailed information about an individual site listed below, click here.
- Greenbrier Elementary School
- Baker-Butler Elementary School
- Johnson Elementary School
- Peabody School
- Park Street Academy
- Stone Robinson Elementary School
- Walker Upper Elementary School
- Greer Elementary School
- Jackson-Via Elementary School
- Cale Elementary School
- Clark Elementary School
- Agnor-Hurt Elementary School
- Woodbrook Elementary School
- Venable Elementary School
- Burnley-Moran Elementary School
- Charlottesville Catholic School